Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Week in Review (August 2 - August 8)

Tuesday (9,932 steps) - Work in the office. Had a secretary meeting for the first time in years and found out that I'll have new desk assignments when I get back from my trip. Ugh. Went for a walk at lunch. That's it?
Wednesday (10,132 steps) - Took the day off! Initially I had this planned as a travel day, but I changed my flight to not leave until Thursday. Having unlimited PTO has it's perks. Not even really sure what I did, but I'm sure I packed and I think I ran some errands with Ariel.
Thursday (11,016 steps) - Up, with nearly having a heart attack, at 2:10 in the morning to head to the airport. I am glad I had everything ready to go as I was SUPER tired. Flight was supposedly on time, until we were getting ready to push back and they let us know they needed to replace a crew member. Always annoying for first flight of the day... Otherwise, uneventful. Watched "A Star is Born." Figured out how to skip the line for picking up the rental car, so that whole process was pretty easy! With landing so early there wasn't going to be any interesting places to stop until I got to Canada. It POURED for a decent amount of the drive, which is especially unnerving when driving a rental car. The border crossing was really fast, maybe 10-15 minutes total. I stopped at a brewery right when they opened. Beer and FOOD, plus the place was really cute.

Unfortunately, I wasn't going to be able to check in my AirBnb for a bit, so I continued on to Manning Park - since I had to pick up my gear, PLUS it was a mandatory pre-race meeting. Kind of annoying that I had to overshoot the place I was staying and then drive back, but this is what I get for signing up last minute and not having anywhere near the start to stay. Packet pickup went fine, except they changed my bib number from what it showed online, so I had to re-label all my drop bags. THEN, the meeting didn't start for another hour after pickup closed, so I went to the resort restaurant for a snack and a beer. The meeting really didn't address anything I didn't already know, and on my way out I asked the race director about the pacer board and he said they decided to not do one. WTF. OK cool, guess I am doing this solo?

On the way to the AirBnb I stopped at a little grocery store and picked up food for dinner and breakfast. There were not a lot of options.  Also got gas and some bottled water.
I'd like to pretend I re-read through the race guide, but I didn't. Greek salad, some pasta and water and beer with Netflix. 
The homeowners have an adorable cat that kept walking up to my (private) door. I did go out and pet him (her?) - so cute!!
I did actually go to bed really early - I was exhausted after such little sleep.
Friday (80,716 steps) - Fat Dog 120
Saturday (20,322 steps) - I dozed on and off for a few hours. Finally decided to get up around maybe 9 because I was STARVING. Apparently lack of food at aid stations and being on my feet that long made me really hungry. I mapped my way to a restaurant in town. There was a bit of a wait, but the food was really good. 
While I was out I got gas and picked up food for dinner since I wasn't especially eager about leaving again.  Another Greek salad, and frozen mac and cheese, plus the pie I had picked up when I got breakfast.

Watched lots of Netflix, but kept falling asleep. Frozen dinner and more Netflix. A literal day of nothing.
Sunday (6,683 steps) - Up early since I had to drive back to Manning Park to get my drop bags. An extra hour and a half of driving was not super appealing to me, but I did what I had to do. The finish line wasn't as hard to be at as I expected, but it was still obnoxious having to go there. Grabbed my stuff and then immediately started heading towards Seattle. The border crossing took longer this time, and I had to get gas as soon as I crossed. The nice thing was I planned it perfectly and it was a lot cheaper than Canadian gas! I mapped the closest (good) brewery that would be open. It was Gruff Brewery in Bellingham, and I only had one, but they had a great spot and deck. If I'm ever in the area, I'll head back!

I was really hungry, but wanted to get closer to Seattle for another brewery and food. The traffic from Bellingham to Seattle was horrific. Seriously bad. The weather was fine, there were no accidents (at least not that I saw) and YET, it took like 2 hours to drive 80 miles. I had researched a few places, but a lot of them didn't have food. I finally found Perihelion Brewery. Parking near there was NOT fun, but I found a space just a few blocks away. The beer was sadly gross, but the food was TASTY.

I still had enough time for ONE more beer, but wanted to get closer to the airport. Went to Jellyfish, as they looked highly recommended. The beer was not that great either, and I didn't love the industrial area that the place was in. After that I just had to get gas again (for a LOT more than at the border) and get to the airport. My gps kept glitching and sending me in weird places and I actually had to stop and get directions to the airport because I got turned around. Pretty irritating. Got to the airport with plenty of time for my flight. Beer at the lounge and a FaceTime with Ben and Ariel. Flight was delayed a few minutes and I watched The Notebook. We made up time in flight and landed just a few minutes late. Headed to baggage claim and Ben picked me up. Didn't get home until something crazy like 2:45 am. Woof.
Monday (17,775 steps) - Dead. Work from home. Took Pika for a walk at lunch. After work I had a 3 mile run to do. Goal was to stay in zones 1/2 and I actually managed to do that and it wasn't awful. Went with A to get strings for her guitar. Had dinner, watched some tv and bed. Exhausted. 

Stats:
  • 147,476 steps
  • 46.16 miles run
  • 0 minutes of cardio
  • 0 minutes of strength

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Southern States 200 (Race Recap)

Mill Creek, GA to Mount Cheaha, AL Friday, April 12 to Tuesday, April 16 200+ mile attempt #8 Weather - Humid and warm Preface This was a la...