Weather - Chilly, perfect
Turkey Day 10k back in October. I wasn't ready to shell out the money for a 10k since I don't like the "fast running." Apparently there was a miscommunication relating to babysitting, so I thought I was going to be sitting out. The night before, I had done an 8 mile tempo run. Needless to say, my legs were a little heavy race morning.
The 10k started at 9:00, so we planned to drop the kids off with my mom at 8:15 and to pick up my dad, who was also doing the 10k. By the time we parked the car, we barely had enough time to cycle through the bathroom line. As we headed to line up, a childhood friend found us at the start line:
|Me, Kathy, L|
Spoiler - it did NOT. I had to walk a few more times before the course finally headed downhill just after mile 3, which was when we met up with the 5k course. Unfortunately, the 5k had started in waves 15 minutes after us, so I caught up to the super slow walkers. Don't get me wrong, I loved that there were so many people out, but I had met up with the drunken toddlers and elderlies that were out for a luxurious stroll. I felt pretty good between miles 3-5 and then I DIED. The last mile was terrible, and I probably took 3 walk breaks. I barely was able to run the end - but then I saw L, and is my trademark, took a SUPER AWESOME chute picture:
My finisher time was actually NOT that terrible, considering how poorly I felt. And still 3+ minutes faster than I ran it last year.
Official Time - 1:04:08
Gender Place - 173/233
Division Place - 64/81
Garmin Time - 1:04:10
Mile 1 - 9:40
Mile 2 - 11:30
Mile 3 - 10:54
Mile 4 - 10:22
Mile 5 - 10:09
Mile 6 - 11:05
Mile 6.2 - 9:31
Did I mention that L KILLED her PR and ran a 51:06??????? She is The Fastest!!!
My mom drove the kids up to do the 1/2 mile kid's run. We had a miscommunication and we were at the parking lot waiting for them to pull up and didn't think they had made it in time so I missed getting to see A run. My mom says that she was about 10th kid back. Oh. 10th.
We stuck around for the raffle again... my dad was actually the second person called, and they had to play "Price Is Right" - guess Constantina Dita's 2008 Olympic marathon pace. The winner won $100, runners up won an autographed picture from her. (Did I mention that she won the women's 10k with a time of 37:00??) Sadly, neither L nor I won anything, even though I totally could have killed either the pie eating contest or the plank contest. Maybe next year.
- Different course than last year and I did NOT like it. Meeting up with the 5k course was pretty tragic. Too many slow people with dogs, strollers, walking 4-5 across...
- I don't know WHY the results are 10k vs. "Women's" 10k... c'mon now. It is 2013, I think we are all running the same race.
- LOVE the shirt. He does a great job doing unique, high quality tees. A is wearing the shirt in the above picture (there is a zippered pocket on the back left seam for iPod, money, whatever).
- LOVE the raffles, MAYBE I WILL WIN ONE YEAR.
- Lots of goodies at the end - Mrs. Field's cookies were my favorite and I really restrained myself only taking 3.
- Fairly inexpensive as they usually do a deal that makes it around $25. Will probably run again next year.