Saturday, September 17
Weather - Perfect!
I got a comp for this race back in June, and was looking forward to running for the sixth time. When I was in Banff, I even managed to convince Heather to come and join me!
Since we were staying ON-SITE we didn't have to get up early. I was running at 7:30, but Heather's race wasn't starting until 8:30. I figured it's "just a half" so I didn't even get up until 6:30. Braided my hair, ate my yogurt and one mini donut, and got all my stuff ready. It was pretty chilly out, but I know it heats up, so I was confident my tee, skirt and gloves would be fine.
We realized that the start line was literally like a quarter mile away, but decided to drive anyway so Heather could hang out in the car.
It was about 7:10 when I went in to get my bib and use the bathroom. Suddenly, there was only a few minutes until the race started, so I had to head over to the line.
|Unlike every other year - no changing leaves :(|
As usual, Jeff (the race director) basically walked us all through the entire course before the National Anthem and then it was time to run.
My coach had told me to take it easy, but if I was feeling well, he indicated that I could "push the pace" if I wanted to. Well, I felt like garbage. Right from the start. I overall felt fairly fatigued and just blah.
I started walking halfway up the first hill and basically did a run/walk for most of the day. In the past, when I've been feeling good, I've been able to run a lot of the course. Not this time. It was chilly and a tad muddy from all the rain we had received the night before.
One would think that I would remember the course better, since I've run it MULTIPLE times, but... I didn't.
Headed up the hill, walking, of course. More tall grass. More mud.
The last hill up the grassy area was just as miserable as I remember. With how tall the grass was, there didn't seem to be a direct trail and I felt like I kept choosing wrong. Finally, finally, FINALLY, I got on the last section at the top before the descent. One of the ladies I had been running with in the beginning was right in front of me. I didn't think it was possible to beat her, but I at least wanted to keep up. Tried to save all my energy to run up that last stupid hill into the finish, and I did it. Woo!!
Not feeling great after crossing the finish, all I wanted to do was sit down. Grabbed my medal and headed over to where the beer was. Spent some time talking with Heather, Greg, Monica (and her friends). Disappointing race, but a beautiful day!!
Official Time - 3:08:39
Garmin Time - 3:08:42
Official Pace - 14:24
Overall Place - 72/80
Division Place - 14/16
Elevation Gain - 16,31'
Mile 1 - 12:55
Mile 2 - 14:50
Mile 3 - 1557
Mile 4 - 14:16
Mile 5 - 13:54
Mile 6 - 15:58
Mile 7 - 18:15
Mile 8 - 12:22
Mile 9 - 13:49
Mile 10 - 12:22
Mile 11 - 15:37
Mile 12 - 14:12
Mile 13 - 13:26
Mile 13.1 - 11:02 pace
- I love this race and I'm sure I will be back another year. I didn't have a great race this year, and I blame part of this on course conditions (ew to the mud and insanely tall grass), but I just also wasn't feeling great.
- Medal this year was "meh" - I wish the ribbon at least was half marathon specific!
- Boo that there were no changing leaves like years past, guess they are changing later this year.
- Again, race shirt is optional, I'm not sure what this year's looked like, since I didn't get one.
- Post-race party pretty good! I was feeling nauseous at the finish so I didn't eat anything, but they were back to having beer, which I appreciated.
- Will I run this again? I'm sure I will! I hope the course is in better shape next time, and of course, I also hope to be feeling better.