Friday, December 3, 2021

Week in Review (November 23 - November 29)

Tuesday (6,693 steps) - Work in the office. Left work early so I could get my booster shot.
Wednesday (8,672 steps) - Work in the office. Actually got out of work early for the holiday and met Ben at New Image for a beer. 
Did a Peloton ride when I got home. It actually snowed a bit! (It did NOT snow at the airport, so we are still officially snow free for the season still.
Thursday (14,762 steps) - Slept in a "bit" since we didn't have plans to meet up with everyone until 9:00 for a turkey trot on the canal trail by North Table. It was a lot warmer than I thought it would be, since it was sunny. We brought Pika with us and I decided to run with her since I was supposed to be taking it easy anyway. Ariel ran with Lisa and Ben ran with Joe doing a loop on the upper trails.

Pika hasn't been running much and I was really impressed that she was able to run the entire time. When Ariel passed us on the way back she was running and trying to catch her, but thankfully, she couldn't keep up (because I wouldn't be able to run that fast either, haha).
Lots of dogs today!
Headed home to have a small lunch, shower and finish packing. Kristin had invited us over for Thanksgiving "dinner" (it was at 3, so not sure what meal that is). It was DELICIOUS, and the perfect meal before our travel started.
Thanks to the traveling over Thanksgiving, the only affordable way to get to Florida was a red eye ON Thanksgiving. Ben gave me, Ariel and Maureen a ride to the airport around 8:00 for our 11:20 flight. We barely were able to get a beer before they shut down all the restaurants for the night.

I was not surprised at ALL that I was not able to sleep on the first leg of our journey (oh, did I mention we had a connection in Fort Lauderdale?)
Friday (9,234 steps) - We arrived early enough in Fort Lauderdale that nothing was open yet. I desperately needed coffee. Since the "long" flight was a bust in terms of sleep, I knew I was in for a long day of sleep deprivation. We amused ourselves by watching a maskless woman take approximately 300 selfies of herself. Breakfast was coffee and a croissant - yum! Flight to Orland was really quick, only about 30 minutes. After we landed we had to take the shuttle to get our rental car. The rental itself was pretty easy - and we opted to go back to the airport to pick Heather up. We got "lost" driving around in circles trying to find her - ending up with accidentally ending up in the lot for commercial vehicles and getting yelled at. We were all hungry so Ariel did some research and directed us to a restaurant for breakfast. I had MORE coffee and a giant burrito. We still had time to kill before we could check into our AirBnb, so we went to a nature preserve on the way to Cocoa Beach. We didn't see much other than a few birds and a lizard. 

We had MORE time to kill, so we went to a brewery near the BnB - this one was "meh" - but it was nice to sit and relax for a bit.
FINALLY, it was time to check in. I had found a Disney themed place that seemed like it was centrally located for everything that we wanted to do over the weekend. 

My room
We were hungry pretty early and decided to go to the pizza place down the street. We all shared a large pizza and it was actually enough food for all of us. 
Made a trip to Publix to get food for breakfast and a bunch of bottled water before heading to the Florida Key Lime Pie Company. Ariel and I got a Key Lime pie slice, as well as a chocolate cheesecake slice to share. This place also sold Florida craft beer by the single can, so I ended up getting 12 (gulp) to drink over the course of the long weekend.
Shouldn't be a surprise that I was completely exhausted and went to bed VERY early - although I think I made it past 8:00.
Saturday (13,112 steps) - Slept in, and got over 10 HOURS of sleep, haha. I guess that doesn't even really make up for zero sleep the night before, though. After breakfast Ariel, Maureen and I went for a shake out run. We didn't have a plan of where to go and ended up near the water. It was warm and it felt really hard.
We all showered and then headed over to the expo. It was set up outside and we didn't have the best luck finding parking, so figuring out race day logistics seemed very important. 
We were able to get a beer with our packet and we wandered around the expo a bit, but there wasn't anything of interested to me. We walked across the street to the "Village Idiot" for a quick lunch and a beer. 

Our big activity of the day was going to the Kennedy Space Center. We had thought that a few hours would be plenty of time, but turns out we could easily have spent at least another hour there. It was "expensive-ish" but worth it. Even learned a few things!







Definitely worth the wait to see this!









We had decided to eat at the same pizza place for dinner. We ended up having to get it to go because they were severely understaffed and the wait was pretty long. We got a couple pizzas to go and this delicious dessert that Ariel and I shared. 
Time to get stuff ready for race morning, as we were going to have a VERY early wake up.
Sunday (29,167 steps) - 4 am wake up call for Space Coast (South Course) half marathon. Recap to follow.
We headed back to the BnB. No recollection of the rest of the day. Heather left with her sister to go to Disney World and Maureen went out to eat with her brother. Ariel and I just sat around the BnB and watched 30 Rock (yay, it's back on Netflix!). Ariel had decided we were going to go get burgers for dinner - we went to a place called Checkers that was... ok. We don't have those in Denver, but it was basically fast food.
Relatively early bedtime again!
Monday (14,385 steps) - We had to be out of the BnB by 10, but since our kayaking had been moved to the afternoon we got to sleep in a bit. Checked out around 9:30, picked up coffee at Dunkin' and then headed down the coast to Desoto to see the manatees!

We couldn't believe how many there were! We watched them for a bit - they were so cute and came up fairly often to breathe. We still had some time to kill before our kayaking adventure, but most of that time was spent trying to find a store to buy sunscreen, we eventually just stopped at a gas station. I was glad that Ariel preferred doing something like this rather than spend a ton of money going to Universal or Disney. Our group wasn't very big, there were only four other people besides us and the guide. We ended up kayaking over two miles and a couple hours on the water. We only saw one manatee while we were out, so I was happy we had gone to see them earlier. 



A jellyfish that doesn't sting!






Mangrove tunnels
We finished up the tour around 3 and we were STARVING. The place the guide recommended ended up being closed, so we went back to the pizza place AGAIN, but this time, we got pasta. It was tasty!
Immediately after finishing we headed to Orlando, since we had plans to crash a run club. On the way there, we stopped at a plant store so Ariel could get a "Florida" succulent. It was there that I realized I didn't have my credit card, I had left it at the restaurant. It was over an hour to go back there, so I told them to just cut it up since I had a back up card on me. Frustrating. We found the run club without any problems, but also realized that we were early - so we sat outside while we waited for other people to arrive. It wasn't a big group and they were all much faster than us, so Maureen and I did our own thing and Ariel waited in the car since she didn't even want to walk.
Can you spot us?





We stayed long enough to have a beer and chat a bit with the guy who organizes it. He gave us some swag just for coming - that was nice!
We still had to drive about 20 minutes to check into the hotel near the airport, which ended up being pretty sketchy. Had enough time to repack all our bags and drink the last of my beer. Ariel and I had to share a double bed, but I was so tired I slept pretty well. 

Stats:
  • 96,025 steps
  • 21.17 miles run
  • 40 minutes of cardio
  • 120 minutes of strength (kayaking is "strength" right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Week in Review (March 19 - March 25)

Tuesday  (12,786 steps) - Work in the office. Since Ariel is in France, I had to hire a dog walker for the first time in a VERY long time (l...