Half Marathon #187
Weather - Perfect!
I lucked out and got another comp entry from Runners Roost for the Black Hawk trail half marathon. I ran the 10k last year, and the two year before that I ran the half marathon. It is a beautiful and challenging course and I was really looking forward to running it for the fourth time.
Ben was able to score a comp from Honey Stinger, so last minute he was going to be joining me. I had signed A up to volunteer, so the three of us heading to Golden to meet Maureen at 5:45 in the morning.
We got to the start about a half hour early - and snagged the last spot in the lot. I couldn't believe how many cars were there, definitely the most people that have ever been at this race, I think. Good thing we carpooled.
By the time we got our bibs, used the bathroom and put on sunscreen, it was mere minutes until the start. (Just how Ben likes it - I swear he thrives on stress). I lined up in the back with Mo and Alison. It was going to be a LONG day after running 18 miles on Pikes Peak.
More single track down towards the cabin and lake - another favorite part of the course.
|I look a little goofy, but thanks for the pic Tom!|
Garmin time - 2:57:29
Garmin distance - 12.13 miles (this course has always measured short, but trees mess up GPS...)
Garmin pace - 14:38
Garmin pace - 14:38
Elevation gain - 2,598'
Mile 1 - 16:15
Mile 2 - 10:50
Mile 3 - 15:48
Mile 4 - 13:49
Mile 5 - 13:07
Mile 6 - 22:11
Mile 7 - 21:12
Mile 8 - 11:42
Mile 9 - 11:37
Mile 10 - 11:20
Mile 11 - 17:05
Mile 12 - 11:16
Mile 12.13 - 9:41
|Photo borrowed from Mo, thank you!|
I didn't see Ben at the finish so I assumed he was at the red barn. Didn't see him there either, so I went back to the finish line to watch for Alison and Mo to come in. After they finished we all went back to the finish area for beer and food.
|Ben got 3rd in his AG And 16th overall! Not bad for someone out with a foot injury for a week...|
|Basically the same height now... haha|
- Now that I barely race, I'm pretty selective with the ones that I show up for. This is one I have now run four times, and I will definitely run it again. I've improved every year, and maybe next year I can get rid of those 20 minute miles!
- Another year with a really cool medal! The shirts looked "meh," but I don't take them anymore for most races, and I really like that ERS does a $5 add in so registration can be cheaper if you don't want one.
- Post-race food was amazing like always.
- Of note - carpooling for this one is a must. This year had the most participants I've ever seen and I'm not sure where people who got there later than us parked.
- Also of note - once you get into the canyon, there is NO cell phone service.