Monday, February 28, 2011

Royal Family 5K & Magic Kingdom

Royal Family 5K
A's first race
February 26, 2011
Weather - Partly cloudy, a little chilly waiting for the start

"If you dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney

I'll admit. I've been looking forward to this race since I signed A up for it. She is always wanting to race with me, but she just doesn't grasp the concept of how far a race really is. This was going to be the perfect race for her since it's "just for fun" yet she would get a shirt and medal out of it.

We had to get up by 4:30 to get ready and catch a shuttle to the start. A woke up briefly around 4:00 and I decided to just get up and get ready to avoid having to rush. Just in case. I woke up A and L at 4:30. Getting A ready was easy and fast. She was surprisingly cooperative considering the early hour.

We had to walk to the lobby of the hotel to catch the shuttle. We didn't even have to wait, we just got on the bus and headed to Epcot. We arrived early, and had a lot of time to kill until the start of the race.

Start Line
One of the things we did to kill time was wait in line to have our picture taken with Belle and the Beast. While we were waiting in line, I happened to spot Little Fruit Fly. She is so cute in person! And her and her mom were so nice! We were lucky to get the picture, they stopped posing about 5 minutes after we got through.  the picture, we hung out with them for a bit, then headed to the bathrooms before it was time to get in line at the corrals.

A was READY to run. Unfortunately she had to learn the rule of standing around waiting for things to happen. They played some fun music and we danced and sang while waiting for the 6:45 start.

Start Line
And then.. just like that, it was time to start. We had decided to start in the 13-15 minute per mile pace group. We hoped that with me and L pacing her that A wouldn't start out too fast.

I opted to hang back just a bit. L held A's hand and gave her directions of where to run to move around the people who were walking. I stayed back to make sure that we didn't lose sight of her. After all, there WERE 5,000 people running.

Just starting out
I almost never run without my iPod, but I always do when I run with A. I can't even describe how surreal this race was for me. I figured she would do ok the first mile and then she would probably struggle a bit after that since she has never run further than that. Not to mention it's been a few weeks since she ran at all.

Mile 1- We were a few minutes behind the gun
Brief stop at mile 1 for picture
She did GREAT the first mile. I asked her a few times how she was feeling, and every time she would say "good." She got lots of comments about how cute she was and how well she was running. So awesome!

Entering Epcot

Having fun!
I think she enjoyed the run through Epcot the most. The sun was out and there were things to look at. She was getting lots of encouragement from both me and L, and people on the course, as well as Disney workers.


Still going strong!
Mile 2
I couldn't believe it when we got to the Mile 2 marker and she had still not walked. She had opted to run through the first water station and was reluctant to stop for even a second for a picture.

She made it to about 2.25 miles before she started getting tired and thirsty. L was running with a small water bottle and A took a few drinks. When she took her walk breaks they were very short and she would start running again without any prompting from us.

A and me
Getting closer to the finish!

So close to the end!
With less than a quarter mile to go, she was starting to lose her energy. She started to get a little sad and was saying she was really tired and her legs hurt. I knew we didn't have that much further to go, and she had done so much better than I thought she would. Giraffy got a picture of us running by right around the 3 mile marker. You can tell by A's posture that she is super tired.

I was unbelievably happy when we crossed the finish line. After crossing the line, A got some pixie dust (glitter) put in her hair and then we collected our cool medals. She was definitely tired, but the medal cheered her up. I made sure to get a picture of us with the backdrop.

Garmin Time - 43:40
Garmin Distance - 3.19  miles
Mile 1 - 13:50 pace
Mile 2 - 13:34 pace
Mile 3 - 13:35 pace

I am so very proud of A!!!!

After the race A kept saying she needed to rest. I don't blame her! A 5K is pretty far for someone that has never raced! We collected our goodie bags and then met up with Giraffy. Then we walked to catch the monorail to head to Magic Kingdom.

Cinderella's Castle
Giraffy had made 9:00 reservations for Cinderella's Royal Table for breakfast. We were starved! We headed there in our race clothes and barely made it on time. A got her picture taken with most of the princesses!

Snow White
Sleeping Beauty
After eating, we headed to the lockers to drop off our race clothes. We had a full day to enjoy Magic Kingdom. We headed to Adventureland and went on Pirates of the Caribbean. A seems to have forgotten that she really likes that ride and threw a small fit about how scary she thought it was. Of course when we were done she wanted to go on it again.

Jungle Cruise
She was SUPER excited to be tall enough to ride Big Thunder Mountain roller coaster. She was too short in California to ride any of the coasters. She actually wanted to ride with me on this one. Her cute screams of excitement had me laughing throughout the ride. She had a blast!

Giraffy & L - Big Thunder Mountain

Her favorite ride of the day turned out to be the "Peoplemover" in Tomorrowland. We rode it twice in a row and she wanted to keep riding... However, by then it was already 3:00. We were hungry for lunch so we stopped and got a small lunch to keep us going until dinner time.

After going on a few more rides, we again got A out of the park by promising her that we would take her to the pool. We got back to the hotel and A convinced me and Giraffy to go with her to the pool. Shortly after getting in we realized that we had left our towels in the room. It was gonna be a cold, long walk back to the gym. The water wasn't all that warm and we knew we still had to have dinner and get everything ready, so around 6:30 we pulled A out and then headed back to the food court for pasta.

Everyone else apparently had the same idea. The line for the pasta was insane! It probably took about 30 minutes to get our food. Crazy! Got the same thing as the day before, only with marinara sauce this time.

Since we would be doing our half marathon in the morning, we also got our deserts... this time we split a small carrot cake and a small key lime pie. SO DELICIOUS.

We headed back to the room and somehow A managed to stay awake until almost 9:30. The goal was to keep her up as late as possible so that she would sleep later for the babysitter. By the time I had everything ready for race day it was already about 10:00.

2:59 was going to come early.


  1. Fun post. Way to go A! She looked adorable. Wouldn't you love to have your own paparazzi taking pictures for you on your halfs? She's a lucky girl!

  2. how cute is A?! She is a tough little runner! Congrats to her for finishing (in a great time) her first race! :)

  3. She looks absolutely adorable! And look at her running form! :)

  4. You are both adorable. What a fun, fun experience of a lifetime!

  5. Teehee!!! That People Mover. Who knew :D

  6. Oh my gosh..what a blast for you girls!

  7. Man- I wasn't in bed until midnight before the half! And I had only slept 3 hours before the 5K.

    Okay - seriously, A is THE cutest little girl EVER!!!! I wanted to keep her! I'm so glad we all ran into each other. I saw you guys get in line so I was just waiting, but the line moved a lot faster than I expected.

    ....A finished way faster than my mom and I did! ;) What a doll!


I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Week in Review (May 14 - May 20)

Tuesday  (12,837 steps) - Peloton ride before work. I was about 40 minutes into a 45 minute ride when our internet went out. Totally forgot ...