Monday, November 28, 2016

Dead Horse 50K (Race Recap)

Moab, UT
Saturday, November 19
Ultra Marathon #20
Weather - Sunny and chilly


I signed up for Mad Moose's Dead Horse 50K sort of spur of the moment. Everyone knows how much I love Moab, and when I saw the trucker hat I could be getting I was sold. I know, a HAT convinced me to race... I was still unsure which distance I wanted to run, but once the race director said it was "easier" than Behind the Rocks, I decided to sign up for the 50K instead of the 30K.

Our hotel was only about 10 minutes from the start line, so I didn't need to get up until 5:30 to be out the door and at the start at 6 for a 7 a.m. start. It was PITCH BLACK when I first pulled up. I used the bathroom and then went over to the start tent, grabbed a Noosa and then went back to sit in the car. I always forget just how cold it can be in the desert. Sat in the warmth until about 10 minutes before the start. Used the bathroom one more time, said a quick hello to Milan, and then off we went.

The course started on a wide dirt road that ran parallel to 191 for about 3/4 of a mile before we turned west and headed UP... a lot of walking in this section. About mile two we got a nice downhill for awhile, arriving at the first aid station around mile 4.5. I stopped long enough for a small cup of coke, headed up the hill for more climbing.

The glorious downhill running!

The climb leaving the aid station
I spent a few minutes chatting with a guy named John, who spent a while trying to convince me to register for Squaw Peak 50. We managed to miss a turn because we weren't paying attention, but luckily realized it after a minute and didn't get too off track. We arrived at the next aid station at mile 7.5, where the 50K runners would do a big 13.5 mile loop.


I guess I really like pictures of dead trees?

I had worn my team jacket because it was REALLY chilly at the start, and I actually kept it on for probably the first ten miles, then I shoved it in the back of my pack. I remember none of this. There was some single track, there was some climbing. There was a LOT of slick rock. Hit the "halfway" aid station at Gemini Bridges, stopping for nothing, and then down the Magnificent 7 trail. Took lots of pictures. Lots of run/walk intervals. Shortly before arriving back at the aid station at Arth's Corner, I rolled my ankle a bit on a downhill - which hurt A LOT. Sadly more walking than I would have liked.




The raven
The  course then merged with the 30K course. Loop around until we got back to the "first" aid station. And then I remembered that there was going to be a LOT of climbing for the next couple miles. It was also a lot colder on the way back. This section was now in the shade and I had to put my gloves back on. On the descent I ran (a bit slower than I would have liked, but it was pretty rocky). Run/walk on the flat road part to the finish.
Free race pic - as I'm leaving the last aid station
Very pleased with my time, third fastest 50K, and had I been paying more attention (and not rolled my ankle), probably could have taken ten or so minutes off my time. Looked around for teammates, but didn't see anyone. Got a random person to take a finisher pic with my cowbell (sadly, the same one as I got at Behind the Rocks).


Official Time - 7:12:54 (must just be gun time)
Overall Place - 140/162
Garmin Time - 7:12:31
Garmin Distance - 29.44 miles
Elevation Gain - 2,818 feet
Miles 1-5 - 12:36, 16:14, 10:38, 11:09, 13:37
Miles 6-10 - 14:26, 14:51, 15:36, 14:34, 12:34
Miles 11-15 - 13:2, 16:13, 14:05, 16:18, 16:05
Miles 16-20 - 14:30, 13:45, 15:17, 14:52, 15:56
Miles 21-25 - 14:31, 15:30, 116:12, 15:41, 17:16
Miles 26-finish - 15:25, 16:32, 15:34, 13:18, 13:25

Thoughts:

  • Aid stations seemed well-stocked, but to be honest, all I took was coke or mountain dew. For the first time, I took ZERO food from an aid station. I had brought my own food (peanut butter filled pretzels, beef jerky, Lara Bar bites and Honey Stinger chews), and had no desire for anything else. I used Nuun in my new Orange Mud endurance pack. The 2L bladder held plenty of fluids, and I could carry all my junk in the front pockets. There were plenty of volunteers, and they all seemed to know where we were on the course, which was helpful to me since I had looked at NOTHING course related prior to running.
  • The shirt is a cotton tee, but it is pretty nifty and I'll wear it again. We also got the super cool trucker hat - which I've probably already worn a half-dozen times.
  • I kinda wish there was a medal, but I suppose I "win" having a gorgeous course to run on for that long.
  • As for the course - DEFINITELY easier and less technical than Behind the Rocks. Maybe 500 feet less of climbing, but nothing as sketch as Jacob's Ladder. I personally would all this almost 100% runnable. (If I were the type of person to actually RUN an entire ultra).
  • Finish line had enchiladas and rice, and was delicious. Other than that - pretty low key for a finish area.
  • Free race pics that were posted within a few days on Facebook.
  • I know this is a painfully sparse recap, but it was over a week ago - I shouldn't wait so long! Really what I remember the most is that behind my ears really hurt. I was wearing an ear warmer AND a trucker hat, and I think the combination with sunglasses was squishing something. But I can't live without sunglasses!
  • Would I run this again? Heck yeah.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go on the speedy race. The scenery is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Week in Review (March 19 - March 25)

Tuesday  (12,786 steps) - Work in the office. Since Ariel is in France, I had to hire a dog walker for the first time in a VERY long time (l...