Thursday, January 2, 2014

December Dollars

As promised, I continued to track all my finances through the month of December, since it was going to be a more "typical" month of spending.

Household Bills (Mortgage, Electricity & Water) - $856.70 (My half)
Car (Loan, Insurance) - $434.50
Netflix - $8.27
Credit Card Payments - $160.00
Savings, Investments - $85.00
Insurance (Life, A's Health) - $129.40
Dad (Money I owe him and cell phone) - $150.00
Gym Membership & Childcare - $41.90 (My half)
Race Registration - $240.00 (Only one, NYC marathon!)
Groceries - $173.00
Beer (Store & Bar) - $108.31(about $50 higher than normal between excessive delay at the airport and beer I bought for Christmas dinner)
Dining Out - $105.44
Parking - $112.00
Gas - $80.36
Gifts - $16.96
Other (Roller Skating, non-food items) - $51.74

I didn't get as much money from my ex this month (he recently quit his job), so I wasn't able to chip away at the credit cards as much as I would like. This is definitely a better example of where my money actually goes. Other than registering for the NYC marathon and the beer this month, there really isn't anywhere I can/will cut. We didn't do any extra-curricular spending this month and I had no one but a work friend to buy Christmas presents for, which saved a lot of money.

It really is eye-opening to see where money goes. Thinking I might risk going from cash to debit, although I'm not super reliable about writing everything down. Due to reduced income and high outflow, I don't keep a ton of money in my checking account and I don't have overdraft. Tips on keeping track of money? I still use a paper register...

Not sure if I will continue tracking going into 2014, as it seems I've got things as under control as it can be...

6 comments:

Lauren said...

I think the honestly you have by posting this on your blog is amazing! I don't know of a better way to track money, especially since you can barely cut your spending now.

ltlindian said...

I can't even begin to see where you could cut further. Cripes, I spend at LEAST $80/week on gas!

reggy short said...

try mint.com. good way to see trends over time.

Elizabeth said...

keeping track and putting it all out there for everyone to see is hard. I just follow along every day on my online banking to check my spending. Not ideal, but not going to use a check register.

Gracie said...

I definitely think it still helps to keep track of all your spending, even after it's under control. I second the recommendation of Mint.

dreambigrunner.com said...

Good job on staying on track! I think there is an app, where you just take a picture of the receipt, enter the category and it does all the tracking for you.