Friday, March 11, 2016

That Dam Half (Race Recap)

Sunday, March 6
Denver, CO
Half Marathon #144
Weather - sunny. hot.

So I ran the inaugural Dam Half marathon in 2011, and I did not particularly enjoy it. However, my running coach put this race on our schedule instead of a normal long run, so I registered.

The race started at 9 and A decided she wanted to run the 5K, so we planned to arrive around 8 so I could pick up my bib and get her registered. The volunteers directed us to park in the far west lot at Cherry Creek High School, which was a good 10 minute walk from the start. Registration and bib pick up was super easy, but with all the walking back and forth we didn't have much time to mess around.

A was hanging out with Dan until the 5K start (5 minutes after our start) and Heather and I lined up mid-pack. I was really not looking forward to this. In addition to how much speed I've lost, I had been feeling "tired" for a few weeks, AND my legs/butt still hurt from video I did on Friday.
Must be race day! A finally decided she wants to run with sunglasses. MATCHY MATCHY!
Speaking of matchy matchy...
The race starts on the west side of the Cherry Creek Dam. The road along the dam is almost 3 miles long. THREE.OF.THE.LONGEST.MILES.EVER. Within the first 10 minutes I knew this was going to be a long day. It was hot, I was sweating, tired, the whole 9 yards. It was a fatigue-filled race. Took only two pictures, both were right before the turnaround.


The run was the worst when we got back on the dam for the last few miles. I was giving it all I had and it felt like I might collapse. My pace was so awful considering the energy I was putting in. I honestly was near tears with how bad I felt. I haven't taken this many walk breaks in a race in a long time. This was not the most fun.
Can you tell by my expression how terrible I feel? I am dying here.
Heather is a great running partner, she stayed with me. (Well, until the very end, when I told her to leave me - in a very dramatic voice).

After I finally crossed the line, we met up with A and Dan and found out that she had run a new PR! This kid ran a 28:12 and earned second in her age group. It won't be long before she massacres my 5K PR... Ah, youth.
What it looks like when you're running a PR

She wanted her finisher picture with "Justin Beaver" LOL
Picture courtesy of Runner's Edge
Official Time - 2:24:57
Official Pace - 11:04
Overall Place - 263/365
Gender Place - 113/190
Division Place - 44/68
Garmin Time - 2:25:58
Garmin Distance - 12.91 miles
Garmin Pace - 11:14
Mile 1 - 9:48
Mile 2 - 11:21
Mile 3 - 11:23
Mile 4 - 10:28
Mile 5 - 10:46
Mile 6 - 10:57
Mile 7 - 11:06
Mile 8 - 11:08
Mile 9 - 12:30
Mile 10 - 12:08
Mile 11 - 11:14
Mile 12 - 11:40
Mile 12.91 - 11:34

Thoughts
  • I still don't love this race. It's hard. The way out is mostly downhill, which of course means it's uphill on the way back.
  • With that said, this was very well organized. And if you want to run a 5K PR, I'm not sure there is a faster and/or easier course to do it on.
  • With THAT said... the 5K should start at least 15 minutes after the half. Having it start only 5 minutes after the half started meant the leaders were weaving in and out of the crowd of super slow people (like me).
  • Cute race shirt, which I gave to A.
  • Half marathon got a medal, which was also cute, no pic.
  • A got a medal only because she placed in her age group, otherwise she would not have gotten one.
  • I would likely not run this again, unless a similar circumstance occurred. And PS, I've learned my lesson about doing butt/thigh exercises so close to a long run/race. Blech.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Southern States 200 (Race Recap)

Mill Creek, GA to Mount Cheaha, AL Friday, April 12 to Tuesday, April 16 200+ mile attempt #8 Weather - Humid and warm Preface This was a la...