Wednesday, November 6, 2013

On Being Thankful

November seems to be when people suddenly remember how great their lives are. Facebook is overrun with people and their "daily thanks" posts about how great their spouse/boyfriend/kids/job/house/whatever is.

Truth is, the posts irritate me. Why? Because I'm jealous!! I can admit it.

Anyway, I never participate in the "thankful" posts because, quite frankly, trying to think of THIRTY things I'm grateful for seems exhausting.

But.

I'm a total jerk and it's time I come to terms with the fact that I'm at this stage of my life based on how I've lived my last 35 years and all the decisions I've  made. Sure, my life kind of sucks right now, but to say that I have NOTHING to be thankful for is ridiculous.

So......... I'll just do some bullets and get it all out of the way now.
  • In December, 2004 I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Did you know that I still have never, not even ONE time, taken a single medication for it?
  • About two years ago, I had to have a mammogram and biopsy for a lump in my breast. Could have been malignant, but it wasn't.
  • Five years ago, I got divorced. I eliminated a very toxic relationship from my life, and finally, after this many years, we can be humans to each other for the sake of A.
  • I've been a single mom now for over 5 years. It is SO easy for me to see the "hard/bad" side of it - I have no "me" time, anything I want to do I have to find a sitter (my ex lives 1000 miles away). BUT, on the "good" side, A is a well-rounded and a happy (almost) 8 year old.
  • I have a dead end horrible job. But, at least I get a paycheck every two weeks.
  • I have a very supportive family that helps me out a TON with A, and pretty much anything else that comes up. I mean, how many people can say they were able to race all 50 states (and a few countries) in just a few years??
Basically, what it comes down to is I am a lucky lady. Sure, my life isn't easy, but nothing worth having ever is. I'm living for TODAY because who knows what's going to get thrown my way next.

To round out this super sappy and unlike me post, here are some pictures of what I'm thankful for (Yes, I realize these are almost all running related. But let's be real, that's a HUGE part of my life).
Ariel - I might be biased, but she is one awesome kid.
L, my sister and best friend. She is honestly my other half!
I have some pretty great friends. And they even will dress like me!!
I have had some great adventures in my life, and can't wait for whatever happens next.
Thanks for everything, friends!!

6 comments:

  1. Isn't it true that each person is fighting a battle that others know nothing about. Here I was all jealous of your seemingly carefree, traveling life. Your freedom to go here and there for races without being tied down. I had no idea of your other struggles (other than the dating thing....).

    We all need to be thankful, kind and happy. And now let's go sing kumbaya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this. i agree too often its easy to overlook the good things in our life when the bad things seem more prevalent. I definitely agree that you're one lucky lady to be able to do all the travels in a short period of time, WITH a kid at home... no idea if i could juggle all that.

    PS- yay made the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a few years ago i started posting a daily gratitude item on my posts because well..I did think it was silly to wait for a specific day or month to really enjoy what life has provided. just like I don't hold out for Valentine's to love my hubs.

    you have had a LOT of craziness in the last years and a lot to thankful for, very cool post

    ReplyDelete
  4. i would agree...I very strongly dislike the thankful for posts. I will be thankful when it is December 1 and everyone shuts the F up about what they are thankful for. And I'm very thankful for what I have...for the exact same reasons as you- it hasn't all been candy canes and gumdrops but it's a life worth living and i've learned a ton. Would much rather have my experiences than a cookie cutter life. hugs, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The daily thankful stuff annoys me because the people doing it are the ones that spend the other 11 months complaining about all the people/things that they are supposedly so grateful for. Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Week in Review (March 19 - March 25)

Tuesday  (12,786 steps) - Work in the office. Since Ariel is in France, I had to hire a dog walker for the first time in a VERY long time (l...