Palmer Lake, CO
Ultra Marathon #17
Weather - All 4 seasons
The 24 Hours of Palmer Lake event is a low-key, "family-friendly," almost fatass style event. The registration cost me only $28, and A, being under 12, was free. I asked her if she wanted to come (we would be able to set up a tent), and she could run as much, or as little, as she wanted. She seemed PUMPED. So I signed up.
The weeks leading up to the race were filled with anxiously checking the weather (forecast of rain), and both of us having colds. By the time race day rolled around, things were as good as they were going to get.
The race started at Palmer Lake, near Monument. I had been there only time, it was the start of the American Discovery Trail marathon I ran in 2014. We left the house by 6 in hopes of arriving with enough time to set up our tent/home base, and get ready to run. We met up with our friend Jandy, and sure enough, we had time to do all those things and were ready to go when the event began at 8.
|Minutes to race starting!|
|Rainbow bagel tights, not to be confused with her donut ones|
|Lake in late morning, before the weather rolled in|
Anyway, loop after loop after loop. Jandy and I stuck together almost the entire time. Which wasn't something I was expecting at all since she is substantially faster than I am. A had a plan to complete 2-3 loops at a time, then take breaks. Jandy and I just kept moving, but moved into a run/walk much sooner than either of us would have hoped. I believe the first beer was cracked by 10 am.
|Me (in my beer skirt), Jandy, and A|
|Angry clouds rolling in|
|Half marathon done!|
|20?!?! (watch dead by this time)|
|Really bizarre rainbow|
Sometime around 1 am I was offered a ski shot of bourbon. I have no idea why I took one. I don't drink liquor, ESPECIALLY bourbon... but apparently, the best decisions are NOT made at this time of night after being on your feet for billions of hours.
|I'm in black. I don't think the others are still running...|
|A's final loop at 7:20 am - they let her "break the tape"|
|All the kid's got trophies (She really earned it!)|
|A completed the second most miles of kids. The winner did 36 miles (and was the winner last year as well)|
|This is how we kept track of loops. Super official, right?|
- Miles completed (me) - 66.42
- Miles completed (A) - 31.98 (we rounded up, ok?)
- Beers consumed - I *think* five. Not entirely sure on that number.
- Shots taken - just one shot, around 1 am. Not the best decision I ever made. Bourbon is gross.
- Pieces of cold pizza eaten - 6? Pretty much all I ate. I had a brownie or two, a couple handfuls of chips, 2 gels and one bite of a very stale Honey Stinger waffle.
- Stories traded with Jandy - hundreds. Seriously, we pretty much talked the entire time.
- Breaks taken - Two. One at 11 pm when A went to bed (rested my eyes for about 20 minutes), and a second break around 4 am, which I think was about 50 minutes.
- Memories made? LOTS.
Lastly? What did A think of the whole experience?