Weather - Sunny and warm
I decided to sign up to be a "Running Buddy" for Girls on the Run at the The Great Candy Run. I signed up to run with Heather's school. A and I left the house early enough to meet Heather at her house and ride over to Wash Park with her and Dan. Thankfully, since I didn't realize this was pretty much the biggest 5k ever.
Took us a bit to park, and then we walked over to where her girls were. Turns out they all had buddies to run with, so I would just be running with Heather and A.
|Heather with A and her GOTR|
|Me, A and Heather|
|Somewhere WAY up there is the starting line|
I couldn't believe how warm and sunny it was during the race, I actually got pretty hot, even though I was only wearing a skirt and tee. We had arranged with A and Dan to meet up at the bouncy castles at the finish, and we found each other without any issues.
My times are fairly unimpressive.
Garmin time - 32:07 (seriously, I haven't run this pace in a while)
Garmin distance - 3.15 miles
Garmin pace - 10:11 (practically sprinting)
Mile 1 - 10:44
Mile 2 - 10:00
Mile 3 - 9:55
Mile 3.15 - 9:29
What WAS really impressive was A's performance! She told me she knew she was running fast because she must have passed two thousand people. She could have!
- Wow, this would have been the most fun race EVER for a first time 5k! There were almost as many spectators as there were runners! The course starts on the road and then runs parallel to Wash park, with a loop inside the park. It was estimated that there were over 3,000 spectators. What a boost for these girls!!
- For a race this size it was extremely well organized. We picked up our packets the day before, but I could see exactly where I would have picked them up race day.
- Plenty of bathrooms. Even with around 10,000 people out for the event we only waited maybe 10 minutes.
- There was one aid station on the course with water and it was well stocked with friendly volunteers.
- There was a nice long sleeve tech tee (A is wearing it in the start picture).
- And according to Heather, this was the first year the race gave out medals. And we all know how much I love medals.
- This was a really fun race, I would probably run again if I had the chance to be a "real" running buddy!