Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Week in Review (June 6 - June 12)

Tuesday (11,090 steps) - Somehow, I actually woke up with enough time to get a ride done before work. I don't think I've done this in probably a year.
Work in the office. Went for a walk and did the rest of my cross training at lunch. Also - I "accidentally" realized that there were still charity bibs available for Cocodona?! The page said that they were "sold out" but when I went through the process, it actually let me. So I guess I am committed to raising $5,000 for my entry in 2024. I am raising money for Bigger Than the Trail through the Wander Project - donation link HERE. After work made a quick run to Costco for a few things. Yes, I still drink V8. (Fun fact, even in when I was 11-12 years old I used to have one in my sack lunch).
Met Ben for a beer.
Wednesday (17,041 steps) - Work in the office. I had a dumb mandatory meeting during lunch, so I had to put off my run until after work. It was raining all day, and I had initially planned on going to Big Dry Creek to run, but then I was scared that it would hail on my car, so I went home and did my run in a much hillier than ideal area. 
It ended up being fine and I did not get rained on at all. Also had fun making this connection with Olive:
Thursday (20,057 steps) - Work from home! I had another easy run on schedule, with strides. Went really well overall.
Took Olive for walk. It was REALLY humid, especially near the water. How am I ever going to survive when it finally stops raining and actually gets hot?

Met Ben at 4 Noses - he picked up dinner at Hops & Drops - so good! Really cool sunset - and very shortly after the rain started. Again.
Friday (15,351 steps) - Wash Park and coffee. Work was REALLY busy and actually went by fast. Have no idea what happened.
Saturday (20,973 steps) - Ben and I had a plan to get some climbing in. He suggest Mt. Victoria, which we did a few years ago. We actually got out the door on time - which is shocking. So headed out at 8, no traffic. I believe we were parked and ready to go around 9:30. A bit of a surprise to arrive at a full lot, but we DID have a later start. I've done this lower section a few times, and it never gets any easier. Over 1,000' climb in the first mile - and it actually eases you in. Woof.
Shortly after the turn off for Mt. Royal the trail gets a little "easier" - at least in terms of incline. Ben didn't super love having to crawl under this. Much easier for someone tiny.
We didn't get super high up before we realized that there was LOT more snow on the trail than in years past. (Even when we did this the first week of May years ago). We encountered a few hikers that indicated that we would be losing the trail a bit, and just to keep the snow line on the side and we would be fine.
We definitely had some sections where we were off trail - but we were able to find some footprints and other clues as to where everyone else was going.
Seriously, so much snow.


We hiked a bit more and... started to get snowed on. I did take some videos of it. Maybe it was more graupel than snow, but it did make the temperature drop quite a bit. I didn't put on my jacket, because I knew as soon as we moved faster I would get hot. I don't know where it came from, but I started saying "snow bah bah" and Ben said it sounded like something the Minions would say, so I made a meme.
Once we got past the radio tower we could finally see Peak One. See? Storm completely over with already.

Ben spent a few minutes trying to convince me that we should just go to Peak One. It had taken us longer to get up than I expected with losing the trail, and I was getting hungry so I said we should head down. 
Once we got to the radio tower, we made a mistake. And this is how lessons are learned. Even though we had come up "off trail" we opted to go a different way down - staying on the trail from the top until we lost it. From there we did actually end up "lost." Lost in the sense that we lost our sense of direction and had to pull out Gaia to figure out how to get back to the trail when we got low enough. This was very frustrating for me. There was way more snow on the mountain than we realized and we ended up at least a quarter mile off "course." So lesson to be learned - download maps on Gaia for any area you are in - just in case. Luckily we were in a section that had phone service, so we were ok. Anyway, took a lot longer overall to get down, but once we found the trail again, felt pretty good and jogged down. (As much as you can jog a really steep & technical descent anyway).

Headed to Outer Range and they still had glasses left for the "Keep the Glass" event. Surprising, since it was hours after they opened. We sat on the patio and it was pretty chilly. We were hungry, so also got some Birdcraft so we didn't starve before getting home.
Ben suggested that we stop at the Crocs store "just to look" and I walked out with these. I'm still anti-Croc and swore I would never get a pair. No comments necessary, I am embarrassed enough for meyself.
Neon green.
Stopped by the house to get Olive and my car and went to 4 Noses for one more beer. 
Sunday (26,515 steps) - Didn't especially want to get up early, but MORE storms were in the forecast, so we tentatively had made plans to be out the door by 9. We met in Boulder for the loop I like to do on Wednesdays. I don't typically run in Boulder on the weekends and forgot that nine million people go out and hike. At least these trails don't allow bikes so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
It looked like it was going to rain the entire time, but it never did, thankfully. 

I hadn't been intending to "work hard" during this run, but apparently we "ran" pretty fast. We also managed to run into Tyler, who had summitted Bear Peak earlier and made plans to meet up after. About a mile from finishing we also ran into our neighbor Kevin and his wife. Funny to see multiple people we know - and they all live with a tenth of a mile of us. The guys decided on Murphy's for a snack and beer. They were still serving brunch and I got this delicious bowl:
Took Olive for a walk and saw an owl! (Only the second one so far this season).
I think I did some deliveries? Picked up a slice of pizza at Costco for dinner since Ariel was working. Ben and I had a movie watch party and watched "Thirteen Lives" - which was REALLY good.
Monday (21,737 steps) - Work from home. Yay! Shockingly, it was supposed to RAIN, so I actually went for my run really early. I had 7 miles easy on schedule, and it didn't necessarily FEEL easy, but HR says it was, so I'll take it. I got drizzled on starting about 3 miles in, but it wasn't a true downpour, so it was ok.

Ariel went with me for a quick Olive walk. Did some driving after work, and another slice of Costco pizza for dinner. Another watch party - this time "Memory" (Liam Neeson) and it wasn't as interesting as his movies normally are.

Stats:
  • 132,764 steps
  • 33.13 miles run
  • 30 minutes of cardio
  • 50 minutes of strength training

No comments:

Post a Comment

I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)

Week in Review (April 23 to April 29)

Tuesday  (13,393 steps) - Peloton before work and strength training at lunch. The landscapers had been hard at work all day. Crazy how much ...