Saturday, September 19
Half Marathon #201
Weather - Chilly at the start, cold and rainy at the end
I passed all the ladies that I had been chasing and ended up mostly alone on the course. Every time a mile clicked I was mildly concerned that I was pushing too hard and that I would be suffering on the back half of the course if I burned out my legs too soon.
I had run this race only one other time, and that was back in 2015 when it was held in June. This was a last-minute race as I thought it might be good to do a longer "training" run. Ironically, this was my first half marathon distance in over a year. Crazy that I used to run dozens of these a year.
Race Day
We got out the door on time and parked near the start line with about 40 minutes until the start. We took Olive for a quick walk on the bike path and then I had to start my bathroom line cycling. I was standing around with Ben and Olive waiting to start. It was hard to hear, but I finally figured out that there was a moose on course and they were holding everyone at the start until we got the all-clear. Don't think I have had that happen before. I had Ben put Olive in the truck before the gun went off because she was getting anxious and I didn't want her to trip anyone.
My only goals originally were to run and feel good. Secondly, I wondered if I could beat my time from 2015, which was a 2:27.
Finally, at 8:15, we started. I was in the back and had one headphone in to start until we moved onto the bike path. The fasties surged towards the front and I quickly moved into a rhythm that felt sustainable.
It seemed like it was going to be a beautiful morning for a run. The air was crisp and we had nice, blue skies. I was chasing a few gals and leapfrogging with an elderly man who was wearing a 2016 NYC marathon jacket.I passed all the ladies that I had been chasing and ended up mostly alone on the course. Every time a mile clicked I was mildly concerned that I was pushing too hard and that I would be suffering on the back half of the course if I burned out my legs too soon.
I was coming up to the turn into town (where the 10k runners would peel off to the finish) when a lady on the side of the trail yelled that the moose (that caused the delayed start) was in the trees on the side of the trail. While I did see the moose, this is not my picture - mine didn't come out - but this is one my friend Carol got.
About this point I was thinking I really needed to use the bathroom. I thought I had seen that there were four aid stations on the course and we were over seven miles in at this point and I had only seen one. I was also just praying there would be a bathroom.| I had to take this pic because I actually DID see a moose |
At some point I realized this was NOT the same course I had run in 2015.
| This is the back of the old guy I leapfrogged with the whole back half - he beat me in a finish line sprint |
Just when I thought I knew where we would be going we did a random loop through a neighborhood before doubling back and going under the highway through this cool tunnel.
Back up towards the bike path to town - thankfully it had stopped raining at this point and it was just misting a bit.
I really struggled the last mile or so, probably doing the most walking of the race. Ready for this to be done! Finally got back to the junction where the 10k had split off and I knew I didn't have much more to go. I could see downtown Frisco and knew I was close. I was still neck and neck with old guy #2 and then I saw Ben and Olive. I could tell Ben was talking to Olive trying to explain to her where I would be coming from. He handed the leash off to me so I could run into the finish with her. She is pretty good on leash but I was definitely worried about her tripping the old guy. Ben managed to get closer to the finish line and got some great pics of us coming into the finish!
I was DONE. It was still misting a bit and I was soaked. Thankfully Ben had brought me my rain jacket to put on because I was definitely getting cold. We found some chairs near the finish line and I told Ben I wanted to sit for a few minutes. He grabbed me a diet coke and then we discussed plans for what to do next.
Official Time - 2:25:33
Garmin Time - 2:25:42Garmin Distance - 13.10 miles
Garmin Pace - 11:07
Elevation Gain - 344' (more than in 2015)
Mile 1 - 10:54
Mile 2 - 10:53
Mile 3 - 10:08
Mile 4 - 10:14
Mile 5 - 10:14
Mile 6 - 10:19
Mile 7 - 10:59
Mile 8 - 13:10 (bathroom)
Mile 9 - 11:14
Mile 10 - 10:57
Mile 11 - 12:33
Mile 12 - 11:20
Mile 13 - 11:22
Mile 13.1 - 9:17 (felt faster)
No comments:
Post a Comment
I adore comments and I read every single one. Thanks for reading :)